- View(active tab)
- Program curriculum and final degree
- Academic directors and faculty
- Who will your classmates be?
- Employment opportunities
- Scholarships and funding
- Admission and enrollment
- Sponsors and partners
- Projects, awards and further recognition
- Dual Degrees
- Personal detalis
- Sesiones informativas
- Confirmation ok bank transfer
- Confirmation ok credit card
- Confirmation ok no pay
- Info session confirmation
Master in Public and Social Policies
The Master in Public and Social Policy, conducted in collaboration with Johns Hopkins University, provides the training and tools needed to develop responses to current social needs.
During the course you will learn to access statistical information with which you can analyse and diagnose the social needs of any population. From these data you will discover how to design plans for public and private social improvement. Led by experts such as Josep Borrell, former president of the European Parliament, and teaching institutions such as the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) in Washington and the Institute for Social Research in Sweden, you will obtain a deep understanding of the various dimensions of a welfare state and current social issues such as housing, social exclusion, labour market, public health and climate change. The Master includes internships in national and international institutions; in previous years students have visited organizations such as the World Bank, the World Health Organization and the Generalitat de Cataluña, among many others.
The Master in Public and Social Policy is aimed at professionals in public and social policy management as well as graduates from areas such as political and social science, law, economics, sociology and other social sciences. Through interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary training, the program aims to make graduates professionals able to respond to social needs and solve all social problems.
Official degree accredited by the Agència per a la Qualitat del Sistema Universitari de Catalunya.
Why this program?
- Because it is conducted at the JHU-UPF Public Policy Center, following the academic standards of the UPF and the Johns Hopkins University (USA) and has the support of institutions such as the Generalitat de Catalunya [Government of Catalonia], Barcelona Provincial Council, the Barcelona City Council and Barcelona Activa, among others.
- Because it is run by Vicenç Navarro, one of the most cited social scientists in the world according to the Lauder Institute and adviser to the United Nations and WHO, and by Monica Clua-Losada, a lecturer of political science at Universitat Pompeu Fabra [Pompeu Fabra University], vice-president of the Critical Political Economy Research Network of the European Sociological Association, and public policy advisor for national and international institutions such as UNICEF.
- For its teaching quality: the master has lecturers from different areas of national and international public policy such as Josep Borrell, former President of the European Parliament and president of the European University Institute; John Schmitt, of the U.S. Center for Economic and Policy Research; Branko Milanovic, a visiting lecturer at the University of Maryland, at Johns Hopkins University and The Graduate Center (City University of New York); Joakim Palme, lecturer of political science at the Government Department of the University of Uppsala (Sweden); Walter Korpi, lecturer of sociology at the Swedish Institute for Social Research (SOFI); Juan Torres, a lecturer of economic theory and economic policy at Universidad de Sevilla [University of Seville]; Carme Trilla, director of mediation services at the home of Caritas of Barcelona.
- Because it covers all areas of current public policies in depth: social security (in Spain, Europe and Latin America), employment and labour market, public health, education, social services, family support, housing, environment, prevention of social exclusion, etc. .; and the impact of economic policies on a social level.
- Because it has been recognized as one of the best programs in its field by different rating agencies, including "best master in public and social policies" and "2nd best master in political and administration science" as ranked by El Mundo for the top 250 masters of Spain.
- Because it offers the possibility of internships with associate companies. In previous years, our alumni have undertaken internships with the Public Health Agency of Barcelona, Fundación Pere Tarrés [Pere Tarrés Foundation], Department of Economy and Knowledge of the Generalitat, Wider Opportunities for Women, Xunta de Galicia [Government of Galicia], Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo [Inter-American Development Bank], World Health Organization (WHO), Barcelona City Council, Barcelona Provincial Council, etc.
- Because you will be able to attend several courses on social politics, welfare, quality of life and health that are offered within the Fall Institute in Health Policy and Management organized by the Johns Hopkins University (Barcelona) and taught primarily by their faculty.
Aims of the Master in Public and Social Policy
- To develop a theoretical and practical understanding of how to analyse the social well-being and living standards of different populations and develop policies to improve them.
- To develop expertise in the analysis, development, planning and management of public policies, through their social, economic, political and legal evaluation.
- To obtain sufficient statistical information and quantitative and qualitative data in order to develop indicators that can be used to identify the policies required to improve the social well-being and living standards of different populations.
- To provide training that enables students to analyse the main social problems of any country and understand the impact of the economic policies that are developed there.
- To define the vulnerabilities in different social sectors (both nationally and internationally) and propose public policies that create more fair societies, including full development of human rights.
Who is it for?
The Master in Public and Social Policy is aimed at professionals in the areas of public and social policy as well as graduates in political and social science, sociology, economics, law, health science, labour studies, psychology, anthropology, humanities, history and other social sciences.
The professional opportunities include positions in public and private institutions in the social sphere, including international bodies and social agencies, NGOs, foundations, trade unions, professional associations, social movements and political parties.