- Program curriculum and final degree(active tab)
- Academic directors and faculty
- Who will your classmates be?
- Employment opportunities
- Scholarships and funding
- Admission and enrollment
- Sponsors and partners
- Projects, awards and further recognition
- Dual Degrees
- Personal detalis
- Sesiones informativas
- Confirmation ok bank transfer
- Confirmation ok credit card
- Confirmation ok no pay
- Info session confirmation
Postgraduate Course in Literary Translation
Program curriculum and final degree
Theoretical and compulsory. It covers aspects of culture, writing, semiotics, communication and expressive resources that are related to the fields of literary translation, comparative literature and audiovisual translation, as a necessary foundation for approaching the specific technical and professional practice module (II) in an intellectual manner.
Translation, literature and audiovisual media
- The semiotics of audiovisual translation. Patrick Zabalbeascoa
- Music tracks in dubbing for film and television. Lluis Comes
- Translating opera: singing translation and surtitles. Marta Mateo
- Initial foundations and rudiments of audiovisual translation. Xosé Castro
- The publishing process: a collective project. The figure of the external publisher. Ana Mata
- Group translation. Anuvela Collective
- Translation research techniques: references, terminology, archive material. Alicia Martorell
- Poetry, technique and translation: case study of W.H. Auden. Andreu Jaume
- Lecture series: the new turn of the century. Damià Alou
Practical and optional, students will choose workshops out of the range on offer.
Translation workshops between different languages (from English, French and German to Catalan or Spanish )
- English-Spanish: Translating humour. Andrés Ehrenhaus
- English-Spanish: Translating for history publications. Silvia Komet
- French-Spanish: The challenge of the classics. Gabriel Hormaechea
- Spanish-English: Targeting English. Is it possible to translate from a Romance to a Germanic language? Jonathan Boulting
- German-Spanish: Communicating vessels between prose and poetry. Adan Kovacsics
- Italian-Spanish: Deceptive ease. Robert Falcó
- English-Spanish: The invented language of utopia. G. Orwell. Olivia de Miguel
- English-Catalan: Gothic and supernatural literature. Victor Obiols
- English-Catalan: From pensive reflections to biographies. M. Arnold, R. Lowell and Ted Hughes. J. M. Fulquet
- Catalan-Spanish-Catalan: Spanish and Catalan, so close yet so far. Luisa Cotoner
Writing workshops for the two languages into which students translate (Catalan-Spanish)
Style and typographic and orthographic correction workshops (Catalan and Spanish)
- Writing texts and correcting style in Catalan. Meritxell Antón
- Writing texts and correcting style in Spanish. Meritxell Antón
- Spanish writing workshop. Andrés Ehrenhaus
- Catalan writing workshop. J. M. Fulquet (15 hours)
Reading workshops in the different languages from or into which students translate (English, French, German, Catalan and Spanish)
- English reading workshop. American Bloomsbury: the Transcendentalists, from Emerson to Melville to Hawthorne. Valerie Miles
- French reading workshop. Marie-France Borot
- Spanish reading workshop. The occupation of reading poetry. J. Pérez-Escobedo
- Catalan reading workshop. Analysis of style in prose. Lluís M. Todó
Theoretical and compulsory. This module examines the legal and employment issues relating to the professional practice of translating, in terms of both literary and audiovisual translation. The Spanish Intellectual Property Law (contracts, moral and proprietary rights of translators, royalties, collective rights management organisations such as CEDRO, SGAE, etc.).
Legal and professional aspects. Mario Sepúlveda
- The Spanish Intellectual Property Law (LPI). The translator as author.
- The translation contract. Types.
- Assignment to third parties.
- Intellectual property rights online.
- Audiovisual work: legal nature, authorship and moral and proprietary rights
THE FLIPSIDE OF CULTURE. MYTHS AND FIGURES OF THE NEW TURN OF THE CENTURY.
The lectures will take place at 7pm at UPF Barcelona School of Management's Balmes building.
- 14th November 2016
Idiots and Murderers (American Psycho and Sentimental Education)
- 12th January 2017
Dandies and Murderers (Lecter, Des Esseintes and Durtal)
- 7th March 2017
Visions of the Apocalypse (Watchmen, Fight Club, The Dark Knight and a dash of Slavoj Žižek)
- 27th April 2016
The Meat Market (Dream Story and Eyes Wide Shut)
- 6th June 2016
Bernhard, Houllebecq, Seinfeld: Three fools, or culture's suicide.
*The information contained herein may be subject to changes
Upon successfully completing the program, students will receive a Postgraduate Diploma in Literary Translation, awarded by Pompeu Fabra University.