- View(active tab)
- Program curriculum and final degree
- Academic directors and faculty
- Who will your classmates be?
- Employment opportunities
- Scholarships and funding
- Admission and enrollment
- Sponsors and partners
- Projects, awards and further recognition
- Dual Degrees
- Personal detalis
- Sesiones informativas
- Confirmation ok bank transfer
- Confirmation ok credit card
- Confirmation ok no pay
- Info session confirmation
Master in Genetic Counselling
Monday to Thursday, from 16.00 to 20.00 h (theoretical classes and PBL). Clinical practice and laboratory classes from 9.00 to 14.00 h, to be coordinated with the centres.
Master in Genetic Counselling teaches you to inform patients about genetic diseases and advise them on family planning issues related to them (understand their heritage, know the risk of transmission to offspring, etc.).
Throughout the course you will receive specialist training in genetics (molecular genetics, cancer genetics, cytogenetics, etc.) and psychology to provide patients and their families with information and support needed to make the best decisions. Furthermore, you will advise patients and families under the supervision of expert doctors and geneticists. The course is based on problem-based learning and is structured around clinical and laboratory practices.
Master in Genetic Counselling is the only course in Spain officially accredited by the European Board of Medical Genetics to train professional genetic consultants. It is aimed primarily at graduates in science (biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy or medicine). Nursing and psychology students interested may access the course after an additional training course.
Why this program?
- Because it is the only master program on genetic counselling in Spain accredited by the European Board of Medical Genetics Counsellor Division. Your final certificate will be recognized in Spain and Europe and regarded as homologous to those recognized by the US and Canadian boards, making it easier to find employment in both the public and private health sectors.
- Because it takes a comprehensive approach to genetic counselling and provides substantial on-the-job training: you will put your theoretical training into practice through PBL (Problem Based Learning) sessions and role games, a laboratory internship and the mandatory 500 hours of clinical training.
- Because of the excellent facilities (classes are held at the Campus del Mar, next to the Biomedical Research Park of Barcelona) and collaborating care centres, where our students complete their internships: Hospital Clínic, Vall d'Hebron and Hospital del Mar (Barcelona), Parc Taulí (Sabadell), etc.
- Because of the excellent teaching staff made up of lecturers and researchers from UPF and other distinguished universities, qualified genetic counsellors and prestigious professionals from the participating hospitals and CIBERER (Centre for Biomedical Network Research on Rare Diseases).
- Because of the high level of satisfaction among graduates (all course graduates would recommend it) and the growing demand for professionals in this industry.
Who is it for?
The Master in Genetic Consultancy is aimed at graduates of Science degrees (Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutics, Medicine and Psychology). There will be less than 20 participants on the course due to the training capacity of the medical centres, which is limited by the large amount of practical training involved and the need for direct patient contact under supervision.